Since a few days, the Dropbox version used in DropboxPortableAHK can’t connect to the Dropbox servers and shows a red cross on its tray icon saying “Can’t establish a secure connection”.
During new setups, the Dropbox setup starts with an error saying the proxy configuration is not correct. This is the same issue.
This issue might be connected to the recently discovered Heartbleed OpenSSL bug, but without an official word from Dropbox I cannot say for sure what is going on. I have contacted the Dropbox guys and am waiting for their response which hopefully will not take too long.
It looks like all Dropbox versions after 1.1.45 still work fine, so either Dropbox decided to pull the plug on old versions or they use a different way of connecting to their servers in versions after 1.1.45.
Until I got a reply from Dropbox, there is nothing I can do about this issue, sorry. Please be patient, I will publish an update on the site as soon as I got anything from Dropbox.
I got a reply from Dropbox today. They said they updated their security and that’s why old Dropbox clients can not connect to their server anymore.
This was what was already suspected by many of you.
I sent them a reply for any possible solution for newer clients and hope to hear back from them soon.
Thanks for your support guys
Yesterday, I received a reply from Dropbox again. It basically says that Dropbox version 1.1.45 is dead and will never work again. Also, they will not assist me in changing the Dropbox path on newer versions.
During the next days, I will investigate if it is possible to either decrypt the Dropbox database settings and use them on another computer or repackage the Dropbox client to not use an encrypted database at all.
Anyone willing to help, feel free to do some research
Good news, everyone! I am able to set the Dropbox path on encrypted Dropbox databases. This means, we can now use the latest available Dropbox client software
I only did a few rough tests to confirm that it works and have not a working DropboxPortableAHK release, yet. If everything goes well, we will be back on track again next week.
Just a quick status update after long hours of work today
I think that it should now be pretty straight forward (logic wise, not time wise) to create a working solution using a Dropbox version up to 2.4.x.
During my tests today, my 2.4.11 setup updated itself to 2.6.18 and nothing worked anymore So I spent the last hours trying to find the reason for that and can now say that I think I will also get it to work on versions up to 2.6.18. However, the preparation for this will require a few additional hours during the next days.
Until then, thanks for all your nice words and your donations, I appreciate every single one of them
I ran into a few issues during the last two days, which made me scream at my screen, until I finally found the reason for these today. This took longer than expected, so the new version is not quite ready, yet.
I’d rather not give an ETA, but if I had to, I’d say soon-ish
Beta versions will be shipped, starting tomorrow evening! (huurraayyy :))
The setup process works again and Dropbox starts up just fine afterwards.
Tomorrow, I will work on making it compatible with simultaneously running instances (like a regular Dropbox version installed).
The beta version just went live.
I sent a mail to everyone who signed up to receive a notification in the past.
Please do not ask for beta invites, this is not a public beta until I resolved some issues concerning the setup, as some people get confused how to set it up.
I will contact everyone who donated since April and was not part of the beta program anyway during the next hours, they should have an opportunity to see the current version if they want to.
The beta will go public with the next version, which will probably be the day after tomorrow. Any beta version will update itself to the next stable version, once it gets released, which will hopefully happen during the next days.
Please understand that I don’t want to spread the beta too much at this point, because there are still some issues that I’d like to fix before it goes public. There are only two days left, so please be patient
I am still working on improving the first beta. During weekdays, I can barely put time into this project, so everything takes a bit longer than expected, sorry.
Beta version is now publicly available: Beta v188.8.131.52